So.. even though I’ve been doing and feeling great training-wise. I have been absolutely rubbish at everything else. Sleep.. food.. organisation..
My house is a huge mess all the time.. I don’t even remember when I cooked a meal for the last time.. and I rarely get my 8 hours of sleep at night. It’s been like this for a long time now and I’ve tried to fix it a couple of times already, but somehow I’m struggling. I seem to not be able to get the focus or drive to really go for it.
I feel sluggish all the time, which makes complete sense, because I’m eating absolutely ridiculously. Most days I survive on crisps and chocolate and I’m not even joking.. It’s horrific.
It’s a miracle that my training has been going well despite all of that.. but obviously I could do much better. Health-wise especially. So.. it’s time to try again!
I took the day off today to kick-start all my good intentions. There’s plenty of things to improve and I don’t think I’ll manage them all at once, but here’s a list of improvements I think I really need to make to get a bit healthy again.
- Proper sleep: 8 hours a night
- Eat normally. Not even talking about perfectly healthy.. but have at least 3 normal meals a day and stop with all the chocolate.
- No alcohol
- Drink more water
- Take more showers. This sounds a bit stupid, because it’s not like I don’t shower every day.. but I tend to not shower immediately after working out.. and my skin has been giving me a lot of problems lately. Which I think is because of a combination of bad food (obv.) and bad skin care. The skin care comes mostly from keeping sweaty clothes on for too long. Which resulted in acne on my back. That needs to go!!
- Less TV. More books.
- Less driving, more walking/bicycling. I have legs – should use them!
- Romwod every morning. I started this a couple of weeks ago and really love to start my day like that. But, like everything, I slowly stopped doing them again.. Time to get back into it!
- At least 2 runs a week. They can be short, but since I have the triatlon in september I need to work on my running again.
- 1 swim a week. Same.. for the triatlon. I’m going to swim every Friday for the next couple of weeks.
So.. I think that’s it pretty much in order of priorities as well. Runs and swims would be nice, but they’re not a necessity for good health. I mean.. I still do CrossFit pretty much every day..
I’m going to start keeping a journal again as well (not here) to keep track of things. I’ll probably won’t keep up, but for me it’s a little tool that helps with motivation.
On another note.. training has been awesome. I’m really enjoying CrossFit at Bear Up. And I also love all the training sessions in my garden with friends. It’s really cool :-).
I do feel that I try to do too much at once.. which leaves me with not enough time to relax. Resulting in me having no energy when I’m home alone and not cleaning, cooking, etc. Which is a problem… but.. I don’t know.. I guess it should also go on my list: do less. But, it’s all just so much fun! I give training now on Wednesday evening and Friday morning. They want me to add Monday evening as well, but I’ve been strong and said no.
This morning I asked Yme if I can do an internship at the CrossFit if I would start a course and he said I’d be very welcome, so that’s cool! I’ll probably start observing his fundamentals classes anyway… Just to learn from his coaching. Will be fun! And maybe it wil result in me being able to do some classes for them whenever they both can’t. Zoe is pregnant with their 3rd kid, so she’s going to need some time off at some point.. Anyway.. I would be very happy to get some experience / learning opportunity and would love to help out coaching if that opportunity comes along.
For last months I had set two goals in training:
- 5 unbroken kipping toes to bar
- 100kg deadlift
And I managed to complete both :).
Toes to bar are still a struggle, but I finally manage to get the proper kip.. I will need to keep on practising though to make sure I can properly do them in workouts as well. As now they still take so much effort.
The 100kg deadlift I got when training at RAF sport with my friend John. Wasn’t really planning on trying it yet, but it felt good so I thought ‘why not’. And was able to get it! So cool!!
My next goal is a 10 sec freestanding handstand hold. Have been practicing for the last couple of days and already went to sometimes being able to hold it for about 2 seconds.. (I started with not begin able to kick up far enough). Am really enjoying the practice and hope to get this goal within a month!
Also.. a couple of weeks ago I finally (after years lol) got my first strict handstand pushup from the floor. I’ve been able to do it with one abmat for forever, but never managed from the floor. Until now :D.