WOD 23 July 2013


Last night´s WOD was a tough one. It was hard to do it and I felt it after twice as hard. I love how it feels when you finish though. There´s something strangely satisfying about lying in a pool of sweat and knowing that you have done more than you thought you could.

The WOD started with a warm up of 4 sets of 20 squats and 10 push ups. I did the push ups from the knees.

After this we did 10-8-6-4-2 sets of toes to bar (I did knees to shoulders) and ring dips. Both were new exercises for me.

Toes to bar
You hang from a bar and move your toes up until they reach the bar.

Knees to shoulders is a bit easier for rookies like me.

Ring dips
This video shows what they are. I did the first example ´static ring dips´ and they were hard enough.

After a few I had trouble getting up properly, let alone holding it there for a little while. But the instructor helped me out by holding the rings together (because that´s basically what happens, you move your arms to the side when you can´t hold it) and made me hold position for a looooong time. I can tell you, you feel that in your core!!

So, when we were finished with that I was already sweating and shaking. But the real WOD had yet to start.

It was one of “the girls” with an extra touch. Rich, the box owner, called it Crazy Karen:

150 wall balls with (in my case) 2 clean & jerks every minute on the minute. Again, two exercises I had never heard of.

Wall balls
The movement begins as a front squat and follows through to a push press/shove that sends the ball up and forward to the target from which it rebounds back to the throwers outstretched arms where it is “absorbed” back into the squat. In its entirety the wall-ball is quite simply a throw.

Clean & Jerk
A lift in which a weight is raised from the floor to shoulder height, held there briefly, and then pushed overhead in a rapid motion of the arms.

So basically you start in a squat position with the weight on the floor. you pick it up and stand up with it while taking it to the shoulder. Then, while standing straight straighten your arm so you’re holding the weight above your head. I did it single arm (so one weight at a time) with a 8lbs (3.7kg) weight.

The exercise meant (I was very confused with it at first) that you start of with the wall balls then on every minute you stop to do the two clean & jerks and then as quickly as possible continue with the wall balls. Time stops when you finished 150 wall balls. So start with wall balls, when the clock hits 1 minute you do 2 clean & jerks, continue with wall balls, when clock hits 2 minutes do the 2 clean & jerks and so on. So, the faster you do the clean & jerks the more time you will have for your wall balls.

I did the wall balls with a 10lbs (4.6kg) ball. And I have to admit that not every throw went over the line (there is a line drawn on the wall and the ball is supposed to hit the wall above it). I also lost count a couple of times so I’m pretty sure I cheated on the count as well. Just not sure if it was in my favor or not. But my time was 13m39 seconds.

And after that I felt like I could rule the world!

Didn’t last long though. Later in the evening, after dinner, I felt horrible. So tired! But I couldn’t sleep either. I felt dehydrated, even though I had been drinking a lot. So much so that I had to go to the toilet pretty much every hour throughout the night. This morning I still felt really worn out. But during the day it got much better.

But now I feel a bit worse again. I have a lot of pain in my ear. I think it’s a mild ear infection. I tried scuba diving the weekend before last and had some trouble clearing. Had some trouble with my ear ever since and now it’s complaining about it I think. I hope it will feel better tomorrow.

Now it’s time for an early sleep (it’s not even 22:30 yet).

Buenas noches!

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *